Its been long since I ve found something to blog on well today was a great start and it started of at 4 am in the MORNING.
Current status in the hospital = ON CALL
- cchungww was bz sleeping . . . pu pu was bz jumping around
- Staff nurse (S/N) from a peads ward called
- question was "How to dilute 50% glucose in 1/5 normal saline"
cchungww - half awake replied huh?? what was it again??
S/N - was alittle irritated having to repeat herself about 3 times hence added the sentence "URGENT ya I dont have the formula"
cchungww - errr can i call u back?? (racing in my mind - OH SHYT i forgot how to calculate . . . however did try to solve the puzzle in about 5 min of mingling)
- 5 mins pass yet no ans - getting more worried, stress and almost to the stage of PANICKED.
-caught hold of my bro (yes he s living in a diff zone but in Malaysia haha) who was practically watching anime and had internet connection
cchungww - eh chris can u help me to google "dilution of 50% glucose in 1/5 normal saline?"
chris & cchungww - typed and tired
chris - whats it you are looking for??
cchungww - the calculation to dilution of 50% glucose in 1/5 normal saline le . . .
- another 10 mins passed yet no ans from internet nor any luck in calculating
- die la have to call the total parenteral nutrition support (TPN = WMM) ppl but 4.30 am will they kill me anot???
cchungww - crap no choice la have to call i dont knoe how to reply and the S/N say urgent die oso have to wake sum1 up hu knoes the ans
WMM - (sleeply) hello??
cchungww - err WMM can you help me out on this question "dilution of 50% glucose in 1/5 normal saline" the peads S/N asked me le and i ve been trying for the pass 15 mins.
WMM - aaa give me a few minutes to count i call u back in a while
- meanwhile cchungww still tries to calculate ---> no luck at all
- WMM calls back
WMM - ok u need to use 50% GLUCOSE 500 mls and add 4.5 mls of sodium chloride 20%
cchungww - phew ... so glad its solved
WMM - but then hor
cchungww - (in my mind - die lo now wat??)
WMM - 50% glucose 500mls is only available in the STORE PHARMACY or in SCN. You can try asking SCN if they have stocked up this solution anot.
cchungww - aaaaaa ....... pulling my hair out!! thanked WMM and called the dispenser on call
4.45AM - dispenser on call = EE
cchungww - eh the way to solve the dilution of 50% glucose in 1/5 normal saline is by adding 4.5mls of normal saline in to 50% glucose 500mls. But then this is only availble in the store and SCN can u check on the system if SCN has this stock?
EE - okie . . . checks for the stock
- cchungww meanwhile was being stared at by pupu who was still shocked why the lights were turned on at 4 am hahah . . .
- 5 mins later - the on call phone RINGS again . . . BAD BAD NEWS !!
EE - eh only stocked up in the STORE le
cchungww - habis la . . . pls call the ward and tell them i ll only be able to reach in 30 mins the fastest
- chucks the phone into the bag pack up wash face and dress up
5.00AM drives to work and reached office at 5.11 AM (the quickest time i ve reached work) - shall post up the pictures later the road was so so so empty lol . . .
If you are desperate to not get involved in traffic jus drive to work at 5 am lol
- breaks into 2 areas to get keys to break into the store wit EE.
- searches randomly for about 10 minutes
cchungww - EE you found anot the 50% glucose?? (desperate mode - stage 1)
EE - no la i think we better call the store keeper . . . H her number is 019-XXXXXXX
cchungww - EE, H should be up right have to go morning prayers rite??
EE - yeah
cchungww - dials and H pickes up (from the voice H was stil asleep) . . . . -_-""
EE - eh! eh! i found it
cchungww - before checking properly tells H we ve found it and appologise for the call
- upon close check on the solution while EE makes a call happily to the ward finds out that the 50% glucose is in 20 mls pint .... aaaaaa ...... cchungww . . . jaws drop
cchungww - eh EE wrong one le lets find again
- 5 mins pass still no luck hence calls H again for the 2nd time (desperate mode - stage 2)
H - oh its outside the pharmacy pantry there . . .
cchungww - feels like strangling some1 at the moment locks the store and wit EE try to find it in the pharmacy pantry area
another 5 mins pass still none and calls H again (desperate mode - extreme)
cchungww - H, i still cant find it la i wan the 50% glucose in 500mls not the 5% glucose in 500mls which are all laied outside the pharmacy pantry area
H - oh u wan that one, why ar? why u need it?
cchungww - after explaining the past 1 hour experience wit the ward tells me its in the store
H - check on the system la it tells you where it is located in the store
cchungww - thanks H and ends the call.
Went into the pharmacy to try to open the system . . . SYSTEM DOWN !!! @#$%
cchungww - aaaaaa .... EE system down!! how r we going to check
EE - ya now system down for 2 hour everyday from 5 am - 7 am
cchungww - feels like KILLING something
cchungww & EE breaks into the store again . . . . . . -_-""" this patient so better be alive since so many ppl went through so much prob and trouble to save him o her.
searches for another 5 mins and at last found it near the STORE PANTRY .... pengsan at last ... EUREKA . . . lol
EE calls the ward and problem is solved phew . . .
Time of end = 6 AM --> cchungww & EE went back to A&E pharmacy for a good rest =)